RSS Feed

Handicapping

Blackjack Game

Hit
Stand
Your Bet
0
+
-
Available Funds
500

Handicapping and Horse Racing Mathematics

 

An Introduction to Betting Facts 

 

By our very own Handicapper from the 2007 Saratoga Racing Season – SaratogaSam

 

1 – The “number” is the lowest odds on the tote board. The favorite or “chalk” is created by the general betting public believing this is the horse with the best chance of winning.

2 – The chalk will win, on average, 33% of all races at a price of $5.20 or 8-5 odds. Average of win and price may differ from track to track. This amounts to a loss of 10% of invested money, but the take at most tracks is 15% to 19% which is deducted out of the track’s pool.

3 – The odds on horses under even money $3.90 or under will win 50% but lose 5% of invested money. Inside this group, the lower payoffs of $3.00 down to $2.10 will return a profit sometimes 5 to 7% !

4 – The favorite will run 2nd or place 52% and lose 5%; and they will run 3rd or show 70% and lose 2% of invested money.

5 – The second lowest odds and the third lower odds will win 33% at higher prices in the range of 2-1 to 5-1 on average—33% for favorites this three horse group totals +66%

6 – By adding the next two horses at 5-1 up to 8-1 will win 18%; this group of two added to the three lowest now makes this group of five lowest contenders the total of 84%—this is the 5 needed to concentrate on in handicapping or wagering action plans…but this group in all betting represents 51% of the horses

7 – The final group are by name called “long shots” at odds of 9-1 to 49-1 and win under 16%…..the final group of big long shots 50-1 and up to 200-1 win less than 1%……and represents the other half of all horses at under 50%.

8 – The lower the odds the better chance of each odds group beating the higher odds horses. This is the mathematics of the “Sport of Kings”.

9 – Inside the group of lower odds horses are “underlay or over bet horses” and the idea of a negative value lives in this group. You must learn to avoid this group of under lays or “sucker horses”…finding ways to spot these horses to not wager on and look for “value and overlay priced horses”…not easy but it can be done.

10 – In the future, the ideas of what to do and what to avoid will be placed in this site. As you read and digest this info, you will see the bigger picture of how to win at this fascinating game.

by SaratogaSam

 

 SaratogaSuckers.com – On The Interwebs Since 2004


No Comments

No comments yet.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

  • RSS Horse-Races.Net Feed
    • 2019 Diana (G1) and Sanford Stakes (G3) 2019-07-14
      Saturday at Saratoga, Sistercharlie won the Diana Stakes (G1) for the second time with favorite Rushing Fall second. Also on the card, By Your Side won the Sanford Stakes (G3) for the 2-year-old colts. Get the results, charts, and photos here.
    • Belmont Derby (G1), Belmont Oaks (G1), and John A. Nerud Stakes (G2) 2019-07-07
      Saturday at Belmont Park, Henley's Joy was an upset winner in the Belmont Derby Invitational (G1) on the turf with favorite Seismic Wave 5th. Also on the card, Concrete Rose won the Belmont Oaks Invitational (G1), and Promises Fulfilled won the John A. Nerud Stakes (G2). Get the results, charts, and photos here.
  • Pages
  • RSS Unknown Feed
  • RSS Saratoga Food Fanatic
    • REVIEW: Siro’s Restaurant
      Earlier this week we learned that Siro’s was under new ownership and had a new chef, just in time for the 2019 racing season. And I mean JUST in time. Siro’s has been a Saratoga staple for as long as I can remember, with it’s extremely close proximity to the Saratoga Race Course as well […]
      Ashley Dingeman
    • Freaky Fresh Delivery with 9 Miles East Farm
      Who else strives to live their healthiest lives in the summer? I mean, it’s relatively easy when there are SO many amazing veggies and fruits in season, right? Well 9 Miles East Farm is making it even EASIER to live your best life, with the Summer Meal Mix delivered right to your doorstep. What is […]
      Ashley Dingeman
    • The 2019 Fire Feast is Coming
      Three years ago, I attended the first Fire Feast at Pitney Meadows Community Farm, and it honestly changed my life. I walked into the event and couldn’t believe how secluded it felt once I drove down the property, even though West Ave was right there. There were moments I actually forgot where I was, because […]
      Ashley Dingeman